Who we are
The Workshop is a tech company that develops intuitive software for the online gaming industry. Our motto is to move “Fearlessly Forward” together. Cooperative innovation is at the center of everything we do – from our games, new products and technologies, to how we collaborate and share inspiration with one another.
What we believe
We understand that great ideas come from great people, and great people thrive when they’re trusted to challenge, change, improve, and perfect our products and processes. Our strength lies in the diversity of our skills – and that comes from the diversity of our people.
Our commitment to you
The Workshop is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace, where we all learn together, trust each other, and value collaboration. We welcome candidates of all genders, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, nationality, belief (or lack thereof), and programming language preference. As an equal opportunity employer, we offer a friendly, supportive working environment for all. It’s a place where you can try new ideas, take risks, and enjoy the support to move Fearlessly Forward.
Database Services are a team of 15 database specialists based in the UK, Spain and New Zealand, educating, guiding and contributing to the development and operation of best practice and best value data platforms. We support a wide range of technologies including the Hadoop Ecosystem, Exasol, MySQL, Postgres, SQL Server, Cassandra, Elastic Search, Mongodb and regularly evaluate new technologies.
As a team of specialists, we provide the tools and time for learning as well as a personal training budget.
We are looking for a Hadoop Engineer with hands-on experience in administration of the Hadoop Ecosystem and a passion for automation to join us!
What you'll do
- Provide support for Hadoop clusters from development through to production.
- Provide out of hours production support as part of a follow-the-sun on-call rota.
- Prepare crystal clear documentation and specifications, including database design, coding & security standards, best practices, standard operating procedures and training materials.
- Work closely with colleagues in Database Services, with application development teams, and with business stakeholders.
- Cross train peers in Hadoop administration.
- Coordinate deliverables within a multi-discipline database team.
- Automate essential processes.
What you'll bring
- Experience with Hadoop architecture and administration on Linux
- Knowledge of:
- Automation tools (Puppet, Ansible, etc)
- Code versioning tools (GIT, SVN, etc)
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to lead the technical direction
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skill
- Open minded, willing to share knowledge and learn new skill
- Passion for current industry standards and best practices
- Experience of the following would be useful but is not essential:
- Containerization (Docker/ Kubernetes)
- System admin and tuning of Linux based servers
- MySQL/Cassandra/ElasticSearch Database administration
- Cloud platform solutions (AWS/GCP/Azure)
What's in it for you
- Inspiring and fulfilling work at an innovative, value-driven global company that uses cutting-edge tech
- International, friendly and inclusive multi-cultural environment (over 35 nationalities that speak altogether almost 30 languages!)
- Flexible working hours and ways of working, well-being programs, learning and growth opportunities every day
- Attractive salary and competitive, flexible benefits package
- Playful, accessible office with a range of workplace perks
- Relocation package for you and your family including soft-landing package services to help you settle down (applicable in Spain, if you are moving from a different city/country)
- Team building events, Learning Labs, Hackathons, Designathons, and even Referathons!
- Opportunity to shape the tech community inside and outside of The Workshop, mentoring and sharing knowledge with others
- Six weeks’ paid leave for every four years of service