The Database Engineering Team are a team of 15 database specialists based in the UK, Spain, New Zealand and Germany, educating, guiding and contributing to the development and operation of best practice and best value data platforms. We support a wide range of technologies including MySQL, Cassandra, ElasticSearch, Mongodb, Hadoop and are regularly evaluating new technologies. We provided Engineers with the tools and time for learning as well as a personal training budget.
The Workshop are looking for a Database Engineer with 3+ years’ experience of working with MySQL. A proven track record of automating database solutions is a must; as we develop and enhance our database as a service portfolio.
What you'll do
- As a Database Engineer; you will support our development lifecycle through feasibility, design and delivery to ensure the solutions we provide are automated, robust, scalable, maintainable and secure.
- You will promote and collaborate in the creation of solutions to drive automation, environment consistency, continuous delivery and an "everything as code" mentality
- When appropriate you will lead on complex database tasks such as Information Lifecycle Management, very large table modifications, advanced query tuning and data-migrations
- You will administer our database platforms to ensure they remain online, secure, right-sized and have appropriate HADR solutions. This includes joining an on-call rota.
- Keep up to date, and sometimes drive industry data platform trends and technology adoption.
- Collaborate with colleagues, application development teams, and with business stakeholders.
- Crosstrain peers in database development and administration. They will do the same for you.
What you'll bring
- 3+ years’ experience of the following in a Production environment:
- Linux systems including bash scripting
- Designing and maintaining High Availability solutions on MySQL
- MySQL Database capacity management
- MySQL Database Performance Tuning
- SQL Performance Tuning and optimisation
- 1 + years’ experience of the following in a Production environment:
- Cloud experience at least one of: GCP/Azure/AWS/Openstack
- Developing automated deployments using Ansible (or similar automation tool for config/admin)
- Code versioning tools (GIT, SVN, etc)
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team
- Comfortable preparing and running demo’s and learning sessions for small groups of fellow engineers
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Open minded, willing to share knowledge and learn new skills
- Passionate about data platforms – keeps up to date on the industry trends and best practices. Is keen to develop and broaden knowledge across multiple database platforms.
- Nice to Haves:
- Working with container environments (Docker/ Kubernetes)
- End to end Design and provisioning of data platforms using infrastructure as code.
- Experience of supporting high transactional and/or financial systems
- Experience of agile working and exposure to Jira and Confluence
- Experience with Developing Database CI/CD pipelines