Join our Players team as an Engineering Manager!
The Workshop is a tech company that develops intuitive software for the online gaming industry. Our motto is to move “Fearlessly Forward” together. Cooperative innovation is at the center of everything we do – from our games, new products and technologies, to how we collaborate and share inspiration with one another.
Our Players team obsesses over delivering the best, most engaging, and fun experience to players that sets us head and shoulders above the client competitors. We pride ourselves on having a super scalable, robust, and high-performing gaming platform that handles millions of active monthly players.
The team faces the challenges of maintaining a high performing gaming platform head on with creative problem solving along with a real opportunity to be inventive developing enhancements and new features. We power the player experience, providing the right tools to acquire new players and developing features so that they remain loyal, active and engaged.
Data powers our product and business decisions, working alongside the other product verticals to leverage best-fit technology to bring those ideas to life.
We’re looking for a talented Engineering Manager with a wealth of experience and a positive, collaborative attitude to lead our Software Engineering team. You will join our Blockchain team who focuses on building solutions within the Blockchain fields. These products include payment solutions, analytics tools plus more.
You will be responsible for managing a high-performance team of software engineers through effective hiring, coaching, and development.
Partnering with Product Management, you will be managing the delivery of multiple software delivery streams, overseeing the team in areas such as quality, delivery schedule, risk mitigation, resourcing planning and overall productivity.
We are looking for an individual who is capable of planning, executing and managing all aspects of the SDLC across multiple, multi-disciplined teams.
Further to this, you will contribute to the strategy of our Blockchain team across all disciplines including delivery methodology, performance, security, continuous delivery and operational support.
What technologies will you be working with?
We use a huge microservice architecture that lays in Kubernetes and uses the latest technologies such as latest versions of Java, Spring Boot, Spring Cloud, Docker, Kafka, RabbitMQ, Cassandra, ElasticSearch, JS and latest versions of Angular amongst other.
In that ecosystem, we are able to deploy our changes following a structured mechanism of automatic pipelines (CI/CD) across several environments that guarantee the robustness of the incoming features. Those new features are highly protected by a solid testing framework we follow in Players: the testing pyramid. This framework includes different technologies like JUnit, Jasmine, Cypress, JBehave and Selenium.
We love data and technology and rely on data to power business decisions, product decisions, and player experiences leveraging the best-fit technology.
What you'll do
- Manage hiring, onboarding, retention and career development of the engineering teams
- Lead and support engineering teams on their path to become high performance autonomous teams
- Be a role model for our engineers, inspiring them, challenging the status quo and driving change and continuous improvements
- Represent the teams towards senior management and stakeholders
- Work with the teams to solve strategic problems around technology, methodology and process
- Aligned with our company engineering principles, promote best practices in our teams around all important aspects of the SDLC such as clean code, quality and security
- Manage projects within the teams, defining project timelines and milestones as well as risk management process following an iterative value-based process
- Encourage ownership and accountability at all levels within the team aiming to promote an autonomous development team
- Instigate cross-team initiatives and fosters collaboration across engineering groups
- Coach and mentor employees contributing to their career development
- Promote and develop best practices in engineering management at Blockchain team and company levels, driving initiatives reaching all departments
What you'll bring
- You are a dynamic, self-motivated, creative thinker, with an appreciation of vision and goals
- You take ownership of your work but also willing and able to work across teams in a matrix environment where you share your strengths and ideas with others
- Creative problem-solving mindset, can-do attitude and leadership skills
- A passion for software development processes, methodologies and technologies
- Experience developing and implementing best practices for development in an Agile environment
- Software development background with hands-on experience in developing commercial solutions
- Strong knowledge and experience with DevOps methods, software architecture, security, coding standards and tool
- Exceptional communication (spoken/written) and presentation skills. Full English professional proficiency
- Ability to learn and keep technically current with industry approaches, frameworks, and paradigms, including self-learning and company sponsored improvement
- Ability to motivate a team to achieve the defined vision and product objectives while balancing business priorities through collaboration with senior management
- Ability to initiate, recognize, and manage change
- Ability to manage performance and coach team members for growth through career development plans and leading by example.
What's in it for you
- Inspiring and fulfilling work at an innovative and values-driven company creating cutting-edge tech
- Attractive salary and customisable benefits package
- Flexible working hours and ways of working
- Contemporary and accessible office environments with a range of workplace perks
- Six weeks’ paid leave for every four years of service
- Being part of a team with a forward-looking, international mindset and agile working practices
- A friendly, inclusive and multicultural environment (we are made up of over 35 nationalities, speaking almost 30 languages)
- Wellbeing programmes, learning and personal growth opportunities
- A range of employee events throughout the year, including team building activities, Learning Labs, Hackathons and Designathons
- Opportunities to shape the tech community within and outside of the company, through mentoring and knowledge-sharing