We usually respond within three days
Who we are
The Workshop is a tech company that develops intuitive software for the online gaming industry. Our motto is to move “Fearlessly Forward” together. Cooperative innovation is at the center of everything we do – from our games, new products and technologies, to how we collaborate and share inspiration with one another.
The Big Data Platform Infrastructure team
The Big Data Platform Infrastructure team is a team of 8 database specialists based in the UK, Spain and New Zealand, educating, guiding and contributing to the development and operation of best practice and best value Big Data platforms. We support a wide range of technologies including the Hadoop Ecosystem, Kafka, Exasol, MySQL and Oracle and regularly evaluate new technologies.
As a team of specialists, we provide the tools and time for learning as well as a personal training budget.
As a member of the Big Data Platform Infrastructure team; you will be responsible for delivering highly performant, resilient and scalable Big Data implementations which will enable The Workshop and its clients to transform and report upon their data.
What you´ll do
- You will promote and collaborate in the creation of solutions to drive automation, environment consistency, continuous delivery and an "everything as code" mentality.
- Design, deploy and support highly available and scalable database clusters for high data volumes
- Monitor and maintain system capacity within the database clusters
- Provide support for database clusters from development through to production
- Provide out of hours production support as part of a 24/7 rota.
- Ensure performance, security, and availability of mission critical data
- Handle common database procedures such as upgrade, backup, recovery, migration, deployment etc.
- Prepare crystal clear documentation and specifications, including database design, coding & security standards, best practices, standard operating procedures and training materials
- Work closely with colleagues in The Workshop, application development teams, infrastructure teams and with business stakeholders.
- Cross train peers in database administration.
- Cross train in additional database technologies
- Coordinate deliverables within a multi-discipline database team
What you´ll bring
- An automation first mindset
- 5+ years IT experience
- 3+ years’ experience in one of the following roles supporting mission critical production environments:
- Database Engineer, Database Administrator, DataOps; SRE (Site Reliability Engineer); DevOps; Hadoop Administrator; Linux Administrator;
- Practical Experience of at least two of the following database technologies:
- Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Exasol, Hadoop, Kafka, MongoDB, MSSQL, MySQL, Postgres
- Practical Experience of the following :
- Automation tools (Ansible, Puppet, etc)
- Code versioning tools (GIT, SVN, etc)
- Scripting languages or programming frameworks (Python, Bash, Java, etc)
- Cloud platform solutions (AWS/GCP/Azure/Openstack)
- Current industry standards, trends and best practices
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Open minded, willing to share knowledge and learn new skills
- Experience of the following would be useful but is not essential:
- Containerisation (Docker/ Kubernetes)
- CI/CD Tools (AWX/Jenkins/Bamboo)
- System admin and tuning of Linux based servers
What's in it for you
- Inspiring and fulfilling work at an innovative and values-driven company creating cutting-edge tech
- Attractive salary and customisable benefits package
- Flexible working hours and ways of working
- Contemporary and accessible office environments with a range of workplace perks
- Six weeks’ paid leave for every four years of service
- Relocation package for you and your family including soft-landing package services to help you settle in (applicable in Spain, if you are moving from a different city/country)
- Being part of a team with a forward-looking, international mindset and agile working practices
- A friendly, inclusive and multicultural environment (we are made up of over 35 nationalities, speaking almost 30 languages)
- Wellbeing programmes, learning and personal growth opportunities
- A range of employee events throughout the year, including team building activities, Learning Labs, Hackathons and Designathons
- Opportunities to shape the tech community within and outside of the company, through mentoring and knowledge-sharing
We understand that great ideas come from great people, and great people thrive when they’re trusted to challenge, change, improve, and perfect our products and processes. Our forte lies in the diversity of our skills – and that comes from the diversity of our people.
The Workshop is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace, where we all learn together, trust each other, and value collaboration. We welcome candidates of all genders, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, nationality, belief (or lack thereof), and programming language preference. As an equal opportunity employer, we offer a friendly, supportive working environment for all. It’s a place where you can try new ideas, take risks, and enjoy the support to move Fearlessly Forward.
- oCTO - Engineering Data
Life at The Workshop
We’re lucky enough to have a home in some of the world’s best tech hubs – Málaga, London, Reading and Auckland. Our Inventors represent 40 different nationalities and speak almost 30 languages. Check out our current vacancies above, but don’t worry if there’s nothing available – we’d love to hear from you anyway.
Loading application form
Already working at The Workshop?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.