Who we are
The Workshop is a tech company that develops intuitive software for the online gaming industry. Our motto is to move “Fearlessly Forward” together. Cooperative innovation is at the center of everything we do – from our games, new products and technologies, to how we collaborate and share inspiration with one another.
Within The Workshop, Core Tech is the supporting function that works closely with Engineering and Operations teams and to participate in the decision making process for defining the future of the company. From DevOps to Architecture and Engineering Security, they help in driving the projects to the next level, ensuring that the requirements meet the expectations adding value to the process.
The DevOps group is made of three different teams, among which Database Engineering is, whose mission is to drive improvements, whether they relate to boosting enjoyment of the software or the efficiency of our systems. Working for the teams who make and deliver our software, you’ll make sure everything we do is effective across development and production environments.
As a team of specialists, we provide the tools and time for learning as well as a personal training budget.
What you'll do
- As a Microsoft SQL Server Engineer, you will administer our database platforms to ensure they remain online, secure, right-sized and have appropriate HA/DR solutions.
- You will support our development lifecycle through feasibility, design and delivery to ensure the solutions we provide are automated, robust, scalable, maintainable and secure.
- You will promote and collaborate in the creation of solutions to drive automation, environment consistency, continuous delivery with an "everything as code" mentality.
- When appropriate you will lead on complex database tasks such as Information Lifecycle Management, very large table modifications, advanced query tuning and data-migrations
- Use your training budget and work time to keep up to date, and sometimes drive industry data platform trends and technology adoption.
- Collaborate with colleagues, application development teams, and with business stakeholders.
- Cross train peers in database development and administration. They will do the same for you.
- Provide out of hours production support as part of a 24/7 rota.
What you'll bring
- 3+ years experience supporting Microsoft SQL Server in a business critical Production Environment
- Ability and interest to pick up cross technologies skills such as PostGres and Cassandra (through knowledge transfer and shadowing exercises)
- Willingness to participate with on call production out of hours support (approximately once every three weeks).
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Solid understanding of Microsoft SQL Server database architecture, data modeling, and performance tuning.
- Proficiency in Microsoft SQL administration, including installation, configuration, patching and troubleshooting.
- Experience with database monitoring tools and performance optimisation techniques
- Experience with configuration management tools such us Puppet or Ansible (nice to have)
- Experience with SQL Server on Linux is definitely a plus
What's in it for you
- Inspiring and fulfilling work at an innovative and values-driven company creating cutting-edge tech
- Attractive salary and customisable benefits package
- Flexible working hours and ways of working
- Contemporary and accessible office environments with a range of workplace perks
- Six weeks’ paid leave for every four years of service
- Relocation package for you and your family including soft-landing package services to help you settle in (applicable in Spain, if you are moving from a different city/country)
- Being part of a team with a forward-looking, international mindset and agile working practices
- A friendly, inclusive and multicultural environment (we are made up of over 35 nationalities, speaking almost 30 languages)
- Wellbeing programmes, learning and personal growth opportunities
- A range of employee events throughout the year, including team building activities, Learning Labs, Hackathons and Designathons
- Opportunities to shape the tech community within and outside of the company, through mentoring and knowledge-sharing
We understand that great ideas come from great people, and great people thrive when they’re trusted to challenge, change, improve, and perfect our products and processes. Our forte lies in the diversity of our skills – and that comes from the diversity of our people.
The Workshop is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace, where we all learn together, trust each other, and value collaboration. We welcome candidates of all genders, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, nationality, belief (or lack thereof), and programming language preference. As an equal opportunity employer, we offer a friendly, supportive working environment for all. It’s a place where you can try new ideas, take risks, and enjoy the support to move Fearlessly Forward.