Join our Blockchain team as Engineering Manager!
The Workshop is a tech company that develops intuitive software for the online gaming industry. Our motto is to move “Fearlessly Forward” together. Cooperative innovation is at the center of everything we do – from our games, new products and technologies, to how we collaborate and share inspiration with one another.
Our blockchain team is dedicated to the conception, design and implementation of a best-in-class software platform providing our users with the ability to work seamlessly within this new and highly technical space.
We’re looking for a talented Engineering Manager with a wealth of experience and a positive, collaborative attitude to lead our Software Engineering team. You will join our Blockchain team who focuses on building solutions within the Blockchain fields. These products include payment solutions, analytics tools plus more.
You will be responsible for managing a high-performance team of software engineers through effective hiring, coaching, and development.
Partnering with Product Management, you will be managing the delivery of multiple software delivery streams, overseeing the team in areas such as quality, delivery schedule, risk mitigation, resourcing planning and overall productivity.
We are looking for an individual who is capable of planning, executing and managing all aspects of the SDLC across multiple, multi-disciplined teams.
Further to this, you will contribute to the strategy of our Blockchain team across all disciplines including delivery methodology, performance, security, continuous delivery and operational support.
What technologies will you be working with?
Our blockchain platform is built using a microservice architecture with services constructed in Java, based on Spring and Spring Boot, constructed into Docker containers and deployed on Kubernetes.
The data platform is built primarily on the Cassandra database, with ElasticSearch and PostgreSQL also featuring. For asynchronous messaging we use RabbitMQ and our front end applications are built using AngularJS.
In addition, you will also be working on truly cutting-edge blockchain and cryptocurrency challenges involving areas such as transaction processing and monitoring, blockchain analytics, key security and enterprise wallet management concerns.
What you'll do
- Manage hiring, onboarding, retention and career development of the engineering teams
- Lead and support engineering teams on their path to become high performance autonomous teams
- Be a role model for our engineers, inspiring them, challenging the status quo and driving change and continuous improvements
- Represent the teams towards senior management and stakeholders
- Work with the teams to solve strategic problems around technology, methodology and process
- Aligned with our company engineering principles, promote best practices in our teams around all important aspects of the SDLC such as clean code, quality and security
- Manage projects within the teams, defining project timelines and milestones as well as risk management process following an iterative value-based process
- Encourage ownership and accountability at all levels within the team aiming to promote an autonomous development team
- Instigate cross-team initiatives and fosters collaboration across engineering groups
- Coach and mentor employees contributing to their career development
- Promote and develop best practices in engineering management at Blockchain team and company levels, driving initiatives reaching all departments
What you'll bring
- You are a dynamic, self-motivated, creative thinker, with an appreciation of vision and goals
- You take ownership of your work but also willing and able to work across teams in a matrix environment where you share your strengths and ideas with others
- Creative problem-solving mindset, can-do attitude and leadership skills
- A passion for software development processes, methodologies and technologies
- Experience developing and implementing best practices for development in an Agile environment
- Software development background with hands-on experience in developing commercial solutions
- Strong knowledge and experience with DevOps methods, software architecture, security, coding standards and tool
- Exceptional communication (spoken/written) and presentation skills. Full English professional proficiency
- Ability to learn and keep technically current with industry approaches, frameworks, and paradigms, including self-learning and company sponsored improvement
- Ability to motivate a team to achieve the defined vision and product objectives while balancing business priorities through collaboration with senior management
- Ability to initiate, recognize, and manage change
- Ability to manage performance and coach team members for growth through career development plans and leading by example.
We care about your career progression, health and wellbeing, so we offer:
- Hybrid working, manage your time between the office and remote working as agreed with your manager and team members
- A relocation package for you and your family, including soft-landing package services to help you settle in (applicable if you are moving from a different city/country).
- A friendly, inclusive and multicultural environment. We are made up of over 35 nationalities and speak almost 30 languages.
- An attractive salary and customisable benefits package.
- Wellbeing programmes, a self-managed learning budget and personal growth opportunities.
- A range of events throughout the year, including team building activities, Learning Labs, Hackathons and Designathons.
- Plenty of opportunities to shape the tech community within and outside of the company through mentoring and knowledge sharing.
- Private health insurance and life insurance from day one.
- The opportunity to take up to three paid volunteering days each year.
- Gym membership discount.
- A period of up to four (4) weeks per calendar year, during which you may work remotely from a location other than your local office or home.
- A sabbatical program, which offers the opportunity to take one period of six weeks (30 working days) paid leave every for 4 years of service at The Workshop.
- 23 days of annual leave plus 14 Bank Holidays.
When you plan to work from the office, you can expect:
- A contemporary and accessible environment with a range of workplace perks, including a parking spot.
- Free breakfasts, snacks and drinks.
- Thirsty Thursday – afterwork!